Skip to main content

"With dropper" - A bit of humor

So... on a day with lots of crazy drama at the veterinary clinic, this man comes up to the desk of the vet office. He's asking me for something, but he's either not saying it right or I'm not understanding him past the heavy accent. He shows me his phone and it says sodium chloride. I pause and then say uncertainly, "That's salt". He says yes and says solution with "dopper". I am quite sure I looked at him blankly. I am trying to learn all the veterinary pharmacy items so I can get my "clerks" license and dispense medications, but I have no freaking idea what salt solution with dopper could be. What strange medication is that? He consults his phone and says "dropper, with dropper" and show me a picture of a bottle with a bulb dropper.
You would think this would clear the mystery up, but no, it doesn't. He wants saline solution that comes in bottle with a bulb and dropper? Am I missing something? So I wander to the back and ask about sodium chloride solution with a dropper. Sadly, I did not attempt the Russian sounding accent. The vet tech in the back says, "that's salt.". "What does he want with salt water.". I have no answer. She points out our bags of fluids that we use for subcutaneous fluids (think of an IV bag) are sodium chloride. Hmmm...
I wander back to the front, knowing the communication is going to become even more confusing. I tell him we have no sodium chloride solution with "dropper". He looks at me. I look at him. He says incredulously, "you have no salt water". Put that way, it does sound a bit ridiculous. I look at him, he looks at me. I have reservations about saying this, but I tell him we have IV fluid bags that are sodium chloride. I feel this is not going to go well. He says "yes". He looks at me. I look at him. I tell him for that you need a prescription. Again he is incredulous. "You need a prescription for salt water?"
I try a different approach. "You know, that's like saline solution. You can get that at the drug store." We look at each other some more. I tell him that that IV fluid comes with a tube and a needle and yes it needs a prescription. We circle around not conquering the language barrier. Finally, I should him a picture of IV hanging on the IV pole. He says "I just need the bag". I explain I can't just sell the bag, that you need a prescription because it's used as part of a medical procedure. He says he does not want procedure just sodium chloride solution.... at this point I have this urge to just forget about all the rules and just give him a bag. I mean... it's just salt water. We have clearly established that fact. Instead we stare at each other some more and then I say, "you know, you can get sodium chloride solution at the drug store." He is clearly not pleased with this answer, but I have nothing more to give him. After one last staring exchange he wandered off. I hear another client, who is waiting for the vet, giggle. When I look over at her, she is studiously avoiding eye contact with me.
After thinking, "dear drug store clerk, I'm sorry, but you are on your own". I then wandered to the back again and told the vet tech how he had wanted to buy a bag of fluids. She asked me what he wanted it for. I threw up my arms and said, "I have no idea!" I am not even sure the man had a pet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metamorphosis

I am a grub, Yes, A grub. Creeping along, I consume, All that I can To change. I know, A caterpillar Is more appealing, But most Become moths, Desperately seeking The light in the darkness. And metamorphosis, Is a messy process No matter what. Inside you ooze, As you destroy What you were. As a grub I will not take flight In a dazzle Of butterfly color. No, I will be firmly on earth - Grounded. And like the dung beetle I will take the crap Of others, And create something. And my carapace Will be strong And iridescent In the light of the day.

Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting

Last week I wrote a long post, that apparently didn't get posted. The shooting at the Pittsburgh Synagogue really got to me. A lot of people are talking about the current political climate and how that seems to be a trigger for this shooting. That may be true. However I think a lot of people don't understand how deeply antisemitism is embedded in our country. I grew up on stories of my Grandfather escaping Russian soldiers, who were killing Jews, and coming to the US. The US  was much better, but he still got beat up for being a Jew. My mom talked about going to a private school, were she was the token Jew. She got to go to the school but was excluded from all social events. The synagogue that I went to when I was younger was subject to regular vandalism. Someone also tried to burn it down and the only thing that saved it was a good citizen who saw the flames. I have had to debate going to services when there was a "credible" bomb threat. I went as did many